Could you tell us any interesting facts or remarkable features about your project?
- Milton is a conservation area – some challenges getting planning consent – Chicle Barn is in a Courtyard of other converted farm building – so had to be sympathetic with the surrounding – one side looks like a traditional barn – and the secluded rear side is contemporary with a ribbon of glass.
- Radon area – lots of work to manage the Radon – additional membranes and 11 pipes running under the patio.
- Corner glass – the large glass at the back forms a corner of glass 16m of glass wrapping around the first floor.
- Beautiful free standing steel, oak and glass staircase and walk way.
- Removed over 750 tonnes of earth.
- Made from beautiful Ironstone from the only remaining Ironstone quarry in the UK based locally at Duns Tew.
- 6m tall atrium and entrance.
Martin & Jane's Experience at the National Self Build & Renovation Centre
How many times have you visited The National Self Build and Renovation Centre before?
At least 3 times.
Did you use any exhibitors at the NSBRC? If so, who?
What did you enjoy most about your visit to the NSBRC?
Having everything in one place. It's great to see the life-sized houses, the guided tours were invaluable and having all the experts and great suppliers in one place was helpful.
Would you recommend the NSBRC to a friend, and if so, what aspects of the Centre would you recommend and why?
If you’re self-building a house or undertaking a big renovation – you have to visit the NSBRC!! I highly recommend the Centre for ideas, getting questions answered and for a good day out!!