As part of the course, David will also guide you through the NSBRC’s own fantastic Renovation House where you can watch the theory come to life.
David has been involved at the NSBRC for many years and regularly presents our Eco Workshops and the NSBRC Guide to Heating Your Home.
David is an authority in sustainable building and energy efficiency with extensive knowledge in building fabrics, heating systems, heat recovery ventilation, renewables and conventional heating systems. David has a Masters degree in Sustainable Architecture, is a fully qualified renewables, Gassafe installer, trainer and has 30 years experience in the industry. He has completed several of his own renovation projects and enjoys helping others do the same.
What will the course cover?
Building Regulations & Legislation
- Planning (when is it needed) and Permitted Development Rights
- Party Wall Act
- Budgeting & VAT
- Dealing with Dampness, Condensation & Mould in Properties
- Symptoms & Causes
- Repairing & Rectifying
Cracking, Subsidence & Structural Repairs
- Characteristics of different building materials
- Identifying causes of cracking and masonry failures and subsidence
replacing doors & windows
Building Systems & Fabrics
- Insulation: thermal & acoustic
- Building materials
Extensions, Loft & Basement Conversions
- Heating & Water
- Energy Efficiency
- Airtightness & Ventilation